Volunteers Make Camp Happen!
What makes Camp Mini-Yo-We so special? Of course, there is Mary Lake, the beautiful sunsets, the outdoor activities and the tasty food, but people are what make camp feel like home.
For almost 80 years there is one particular group of people that our campers are particularly indebted to—our adult volunteers. At the very heart of our ministry is a legacy of adults who have given their time to see summer camp succeed. The truth about adult volunteers is that we couldn’t run camp without them.
In Summer 2023 we will see over 200 adults spend a week or more on property helping to feed our campers, keep them safe, take out the garbage, maintain the facility and come alongside and support our summer staff. Above and beyond helping camp operate, these adults provide critical feedback and encouragement to our team as they observe camp happening around them. Another way adult volunteers support the ministry is by helping reduce the overall cost of operating camp. Having the support of our community makes summer camp affordable to more families who otherwise couldn’t attend.
Improving The Volunteer Experience
We have been intentionally working over the past number of years to continue looking for ways we can improve the experience for our adult volunteers. Our volunteers give so willingly and we want to do everything we can to make your experience a positive one!
That includes things such as:
- Fun – Additional Activities // We’re continuing to look at which camp activities and experiences we can offer to volunteers in their downtime, including using our aerial adventure park, ziplines, canoes and staff lounge.
- Facilities – Improved Accommodations // Over the past three years we have been moving across the facility dramatically improving the accommodations that our volunteers stay in while on property. This has been a floor-to-ceiling renovation of each bunkie with new interior finishes, furniture and a ceiling fan for hot summer days. This winter we’re working on renovating five bunkies at Girls Camp! If you want to support the initiative, you can donate to the project or help complete the work at one of our winter work parties.
- Finances – Great Discounts // As a token of thanks, all our adult volunteers have access to a great discount on our summer camp programs. This discount can be used for your own kids or grandkids or family friends if your own children won’t be attending.
- First Time – Initial Experience // We know that arriving at Mini-Yo-We for the first time to volunteer can be a bit overwhelming. We provide you with a dedicated contact upon arrival as well as pre-arrival documents to help you make the transition into this role. We’re here to serve you.
- …And More! // We invested in faster WiFi and better coverage for volunteers… It’s great! We also provide volunteers access to our waterfront for swimming, an opportunity to connect with camp leadership during our evening campfire on Thursday and a special (and tasty) volunteer appreciation dinner on Tuesdays.
Even as I write all that, I know most of our volunteers don’t do it for any of those reasons. Most are keen to serve and give back to a ministry that has touched their family in one way or another over the years. I love that.
We Need You! Apply Today!
Summer 2023 is going to be exciting! We are seeing an incredibly strong start to registration, which means the potential for a sellout summer. That means there is a need for more cooks, more medical professionals and more facility volunteers!
Volunteers are still needed on all of these teams:
- Food Service Team // We need adults to help prepare hundreds of delicious meals for our campers! We provide the training and support—just bring willing hands and a serving heart!
- Medical Team // We need medical professionals (nurses, paramedics or doctors) to help administer first aid, distribute medication, and provide medical support in emergency situations.
- Facility Team // We need help taking out the garbage, cleaning the washrooms, groundskeeping and tackling projects around the facility as needed. Work with our amazing team to keep Camp clean! Jump in before the summer even starts with one of our winter work parties in January, February, March and April. Sign up today!
- Weekend Warriors // We started this unique opportunity in 2022 for volunteers who want to serve for a weekend. Arrive Saturday after lunch and leave Sunday afternoon. You’ll help with a range of facility and food service tasks on Saturday and jump in on opening day welcoming campers, moving luggage and directing traffic! Learn more about serving as a Weekend Warrior in 2023.
If you are interested in volunteering this summer, now is the time to apply!
- First Time? Learn more on our adult volunteer page! Complete the short form and our team will reach out with more information.
- Returning? Jump straight to the application page and sign up! Applying early allows us to secure your spot and plan ahead.
If you have questions about volunteering, please reach out to Meg, our Volunteer Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 705-385-2629.