Our mission at Camp Mini-Yo-We is to develop tomorrow’s leaders through life-changing adventures in God’s creation. Bearing this mission in mind, we run a children’s camp because we believe it’s the best platform on which to develop leaders. We are convinced that our biggest contribution to the world is training young leaders who will make a difference!
We talked all about the pathway and some big changes during our New For 2023 Online Event. If you missed it, don’t worry, we’ve got you covered! Check out this quick re-cap clip for all the details!
Leadership Pathway Re-Cap Video
What is the Leadership Pathway?
- Enterprise (Age 15) // Teens participate in two weeks of leadership development, personal discipleship, and outdoor adventure. This experience teaches our developing leaders the value of being a servant, which we believe is the bedrock of leading others. This program is the start of our process of transforming campers into leaders in our ministry.
- Leaders in Training (Ages 16) // Young leaders engage in 4 weeks of personal growth as leaders, Christ followers, and outdoor adventurers! This is the heart of our leadership development strategy and the gateway for young people joining our team. For decades, our LIT program has been at the leading edge of developing the next generation in the character, cadence, and competencies of leadership. Using a mixture of learning styles, our LIT program is designed to give our future leaders a strong foundational understanding and practice of leadership.
- Summer Staff (Ages 17-24) // You could have a summer job, but why not live a leadership development adventure at the same time instead?! Serving on the summer staff team at Camp Mini-Yo-We is an experience infused with leadership development. From our extra-long staff training to in-service opportunities for further development, we’ve crafting our summer staff experience to maximize the growth and potential of the young people who serve at Camp every summer. Our goal is to transform Camp Mini-Yo-We into the best place for young people to work in Canada because of the incredible experience that it is!
- Year-Round Internship (Ages 18-25) // The final phase of our leadership development journey is for young adults to join us for a year as an intern. This experience combines running the programming for our year-round guest groups with in-service training and discipleship to help launch young leaders into the rest of their lives. Our interns get exposure to the leadership and operation of our ministry through one-on-one mentoring, team meetings, mission trips, and more.
45% Increase In Staff Pay!
We are constantly looking for ways to make Camp Mini-Yo-We the best place for young people to work in Canada. Here are a few of things we’ve done over the past few years:
- Focus on leadership development // We have an extended onboarding and training process in the spring, a growth plan tool we use to help staff grow as leaders as Christ followers, 1-on-1s with team leaders and lots of opportunities for personal development.
- Counselling Support // In addition to each team member’s direct supervisor we provide additional support to summer staff by having a professional counsellor on site one day a week in the summer to help staff process what is going at camp or back home.
- Staff Care Volunteers // These adult volunteers hang out in our staff lounge and support to our summer staff by providing a word of encouragement, a tasty treat or simply a place to hang out and unwind in the business of summer camp.
For Summer 2023 we are making a huge improvement by increasing the pay for our Summer Staff by 45%! Our first-time cabin leaders will now receive a $200 per week honorarium and lead staff can make up to a $400 per week honorarium. This is a big investment and an exciting step as we continue to look for ways to increase compensation for our team.